Summer Reading is Coming!
Coming Soon! Sign up for Summer Reading and all of the events, activities, and prizes that are part of the summer reading fun this year!
Registration begins Monday, June 30 at which time the Summer Reading Calendar will be posted, and the Summer Reading Login icon will become active.
Summer Reading Registration
Monday, June 30 - Thursday August 14
(for pre-readers up to Grade 6)
- How does it work?
- Starting June 30 you can register online from our website or come into the Library and use our computers.
- How do I register and log time?
- Simply click on the Children's summer reading logo (to the left) to create an account and log your reading time.
- Don't forget to read one hour before registering. The more you read, the more opportunities for prizes.
Weekly Summer Reading Programs
Join us on Tuesday nights for Twilight Tale & Crafts at 6:30 pm, and Wednesday mornings for Storytime & Playgroup at 10:30 am. Don't forget Mother Goose Lapsit & Playgroup at 10:30 am on Thursday mornings for our youngest patrons.
We also offer a variety of special summer programs: from magic shows to mime; mousetraps to science programs; letterboxing to Reading with Tivy or Vi. For more information see below or check out our full Calendar of Activities for July and August
Thank you to the Friends of the Middleborough Public Library for their continued support, and to our local sponsors: Eastern Bank and Mutual Bank.
Family Movie Night
Wednesdays @ 6:30 pm - July 30
Library Meeting Room
The Children's Summer Reading Program Fizz, Boom, Read and the Adult Summer Reading Program, Literary Elements will host a Family Movie Night open to all. Bring your own snack.
- July 30 - UP
Reading with Tivy or Vi
Thursdays, 3 - 5pm - July 31 and August 7, 14
Ms. Marilyn Thayer and her credentialed family therapy pets, Tivy or Vi, invite children to practice and improve their reading skills. Tivy and Vi love having children read to them and are very loving and accepting of all individuals. Children will be able to read in a relaxed and non-judgmental atmosphere. Each 20-minute session will include a meet and greet and then reading time. Please feel free to bring your favorite books to read or to borrow some from the library.
Call or come into the library to sign up for one or more sessions. You can sign up for multiple sessions, but please do so for only 2 or 3 weeks at a time so we can accommodate as many participants as possible. Signups begin June 19th.
Playful Yoga Series
Mondays @ 10:30 am - August 11, 18 - 11:00 am
Library Meeting Room - for ages 4-6 (Parent/child group)
Playful Yoga is a 4 week series for 4-6 year olds. Parents and children will gather in the big room where lots of activities will be occurring. Warm-ups, energizing activities, imagination journeys, yoga poses and calming activities. There will also be time for a story and creative art.
Signups begin July 1st in the Children's Room - Registration is limited to 12 parent/child groups.
Wednesday July 30 - 1:00 pm
Library Meeting Room - for Ages 4-6
Join Carol Carver for 5,4,3,2,1 Science (Limited to 12 Parent/Child Groups).
Science manipulatives and tools will be out at the beginning to explore and discover with and then the children will create a science wand to help do the 5,4,3,2,1 science experiments. Songs and movement, relating to inventors and planet zones will be played as well as a teamwork project of building with solo cups. There will be time for Art and some interesting activities to do for each family to bring home and continue to be Scientists there.
Register for this free program in the Children's Room - Registration is limited to 12 parent/child groups - Signup beginning July 1st.
Kate Klise - Author Visit
Wednesday August 6 - 2:00 pm
Library Meeting Room - for all ages
Kate Klise is an author of many genres. She has written picture books as well as middle-grade novels, all illustrated by her sister, Sarah. She has also written two young adult novels and is a freelance reporter for People magazine. Kate lives and writes in Norwood, Missouri.
- Grammy Lamby & the Secret Handshake
- Stand Straight Ella Kate
- Shall I Knit You a Hat
- Why Do You Cry?
- Imagine Harry
- Little Rabbit and the Night Mare
- Little Rabbit & the Meanest Mother on Earth
- Kids Fiction:
- Regarding the…(series)
- 43 Old Cemetery Road (series)
- 3 Ring Rascals (series)
- Letters From Camp
- Trial by Journal
- Middle-Grade Fiction:
- Deliver Us from Normal
- Far From Normal
Kate will have books for purchase and signing.
The Planets Magic Show
Summer Reading Finale Program
Tuesday August 12 - 6:30 pm
Town Hall - for all ages
Magician Debbie O'Carroll created The Planets Magic Show to keep young audiences current with each new discovery in our constantly growing and changing solar system. Debbie plays the role of each planet and uses amazing stage magic, innovative theatre, lively comedy and lots of audience participation to intrigue and delight all with our fascinating planets.
No tickets required
There are many prize opportunities as you keep up your reading this summer. Think how impressed your teacher will be when s/he sees all the reading you have accomplished. Prizes can be picked up at the Children's Room desk.
- 1st hour of reading:
- Registration Prize
- 4 hours of reading:
- Food Coupon
- 8 hours of reading:
- Free book from the Children's Prize Cart.
- 16 hours of reading:
- Free book from the Children's Prize Cart.
- Certificate for one free PawSox ticket for the August 21 game at which Middleboro attendees will be honored (additional tickets can be purchased).
- 24 hours of reading:
- Personalized book plate in a newly purchased book of your choice which will be added to the Library collection.
- For each 8 hours of reading above 24, or for completing any of the extra worksheets:
- Earn 1 raffle ticket (write name on back and put in container)
- Raffle ticket is good for a chance at the Grand Prize Pack - see Children's Room for details.
Thank you to the Friends of the Middleborough Public Library for their continued support, and to our local sponsors: Chipotle, McDonalds, Friendly's, the Rotary Club of Middleboro, The USS Constitution and the PawSox.
Come into the Library or check out our puzzle page, fill out the puzzles sheets or color the coloring page and turn them in each week for a chance to win an assortment of prizes. Take a look in the display case for what you can win. Winners will be randomly picked on Monday afternoons.
Boston Bruins Prize Drawing
When you read, you score! When you register for the Summer Reading program, say "Yes" to participating in the Bruins Program and you could be eligible to win some fantastic Bruins prizes.
Click here for the details.
Big E tickets and Yankee Candle
When you register for the Summer Reading Program say 'Yes' to participating in the Big E ticket and Yankee Candle raffle. The Big E, located in West Springfield, MA*, is an annual fair representating the six New England states. You can see replicas of the six New England state houses, livestock displays, a petting zoo, a circus, concerts and you can enjoy lots of great food!
Also, Yankee Candle will offer one free wax 'hand' mold redeemable at their flagship store in South Deerfield, MA.
*Please Note: DO NOT check this box when you register unless you can travel to Western Massachusetts (The Yankee candle can be picked up anytime, however; the Big E tickets can only be used between Sept 13 - 29)
The Western Massachusetts Library Advocates Board of Directors arranged with the Eastern States Exposition to provide each Massachusetts public library summer reading program with two general admission tickets to be used as incentives.
Community Summer Reading Incentives
- Barnes and Noble
- Read any eight (8) books and record them in the Reading Journal. Bring the completed journal to your local B&N store and choose a book from our selection on the reading list. You can also download and print out a free kit that includes a Teacher's Guide, Student Activity Sheets, Reading Journal, and more.
- Rockland Trust
- Reading Make$ Cent$ is our bank-wide program that encourages children to read during the summer and teaches the value of saving money in a saving account. Read from June 16 to August 31 and you can get $2.50 in a savings account for each book you read up to ten books. Pick up your Reading Journal at any Rockland Trust branch. Hand in your completed journal to any branch by September 13 to earn your credit.
- TD Bank
- Read ten books over the summer and TD Bank will deposit $10 into your new or existing Young Saver Account. One $10 offer per reader. Download and complete the form and bring along with your savings chart to your local TD Bank by August 31, 2014.
"Fizz, Boom, Read" is sponsored by your local library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
CSLP art/graphics are copyrighted by Upstart for exclusive use by CSLP members and are used by permission. Copying or reproducing these CSLP art/graphics in any way by non-CSLP members is prohibited.