Job Seekers: Information & Tools
Welcome to the Library's new Job Seekers' support page. Descriptions of upcoming events and new online tools and resources are provided below. Quick links to some online resources are listed in the menu at left, with a larger selection available on our new Job Sites page.
Please check back as new information and resources will be posted as soon as they become available.
New and Interesting
LearningExpress Job & Career Accelerator™
Receive personalized, step-by-step job search assistance. Explore more than 1,000 detailed occupation profiles and search for available jobs from a database of over 5 million up-to-date job postings. You can also easily create professional and effective resumes and cover letters, master interviewing and networking techniques, improve your work skills, and prepare for occupation-related exams.
LinkedIn is a "business-related social networking site" that facilitates professional networking. "When you join, you create a profile that summarizes your professional expertise and accomplishments. You can then form enduring connections by inviting trusted contacts to join LinkedIn and connect to you. Your network consists of your connections, your connections’ connections, and the people they know, linking you to a vast number of qualified professionals and experts. Through your network you can:
- Manage the information that’s publicly available about you as professional;
- Find and be introduced to potential clients, service providers, and subject experts who come recommended;
- Create and collaborate on projects, gather data, share files and solve problems;
- Be found for business opportunities and find potential partners;
- Gain new insights from discussions with likeminded professionals in private group settings;
- Discover inside connections that can help you land jobs and close deals
- Post and distribute job listings to find the best talent for your company"
The following links are to Youtube videos showing different aspects of the LinkedIn experience.
New Job & Career Books
The Library has recently added a new collection of items for job seekers including books, audiobooks and DVDs on interviewing, resume and cover letter writing, job searching, and career guidance. Also available is a new five-volume reference source - The Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance which provides detailed information on more than 700 different careers.
Some of the titles now available near the Library's new book shelf include:
- Enhanced Occupation Outlook Handbook
- 10 Make or Break Career Moments
- Career Comeback
- Where the Jobs are Now
- New Resume - New Career
- Making Money from Home
- Gallery of Best Resumes for People Without a Four-Year Degree
Materials were funded, in part, with a grant through the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners with funds from LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act), a Federal source of library funding provided by the Institute of Library and Museum Services.