Middleborough High School Summer Reading Enrichment — 2014
Summer Reading Enrichment Assignment
All levels will choose one novel to read and complete the appropriate essay prompt.
All essays are due on Friday 9/5.
If you have English the first half of the year, your English teacher will have you submit your essay to turnitin.com.
If you have English the second half of the year, you must pass your essay in to the English Department Head, Mrs. Davis by 2pm on Friday 9/5.
Essays will not be accepted late for any reason.
This assignment is worth 10% of your first quarter grade.
Please email Mrs. Davis with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Reading Titles
How to Get a Copy
1. Click on the title of the book to see if there is a copy available at the Library.
2. If all copies are checked out, place a hold on the next available copy using your library card number and PIN number (last 4 digits of your phone number).
3. You will be notified when your copy is available for pickup at the Library Main Desk.
Please make sure that the Library has your current phone number and/or email address.
Grade 9: Identity
- Angelou, Maya. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (biography)
- Coelho, Paulo. The Alchemist (fiction)
- Gibbons, Kaye. Ellen Foster (fiction)
- Kidd, Sue Monk. The Secret Life of Bees (fiction)
- Picoult, Jodi. My Sister’s Keeper (fiction)
- Rosnay, Tatiana de. Sarah’s Key (historical fiction)
- Spiegelman, Art. Maus I: A Survivor’s Tale (historical graphic novel)
- Wolff, Tobias. This Boy’s Life: A Memoir (biography)
Grade 10: Social Responsibility/Place in Society
- Long, Mark. The Silence of Our Friends (historical graphic novel)
- McBride, James. The Color of Water (biography)
- Stockett, Kathryn. The Help (historical fiction)
- Zusak, Markus. The Book Thief (historical fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Yousafzai, Malala. I Am Malala: the girl who stood up for education
and was shot by the Taliban (biography) Available on Library Nook.
Grade 11: American Dream
- Guterson, David. Snow Falling on Cedars (fiction)
- King, Stephen. 11/22/63 (historical fiction)
- Kingsolver, Barbara. The Bean Trees (fiction)
- Krakauer, Jon. Into the Wild (biography) Available on Library Nook.
- Oates, Joyce Carol. We Were the Mulvaneys (fiction)
- Walls, Jeannette. The Glass Castle: A Memoir (biography) Available on Library Nook.
Grade 12: Morality
- Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (science fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Clark, Walter Van Tilburg. The Ox-Bow Incident (fiction)
- Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World (science fiction) Available on Library Nook July 22.
- McCormick, Patricia. Sold (fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Moore, Alan. V for Vendetta (graphic novel)
- Orwell, George. 1984 (science fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Waldman, Amy. The Submission (fiction)